As Research Council Officer and Programs Advisor, Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Technologies, Dr. Francois Girard provides strategic and technical support to National Research Council (NRC) and its research programs that include a hydrogen component in them.
He represents NRC and Canada on various national and international committees and manages relationships with relevant stakeholders to NRC’s strategy on hydrogen technologies.
Dr. Girard acts as main point of contact for NRC on hydrogen technologies, including being the interface with other government departments in support to Canada’s hydrogen strategy.
Dr. Girard received his M.Sc. Chimie at Université du Québec à Montréal in 1992 and Ph.D. Energy at Institut national de la recherche scientifique – Énergie et Matériaux in 1996.
Previous professional experience and activities include:
- 2008-2014: Group Leader – Technology Evaluation Group (2008-2012) & Electrochemical Materials (2012-2014), NRC’s Institute for Fuel Cel Innovation
- 2003-2005: Business Development Officer, NRC’s Institute for Fuel Cell Innovation
- 1999-2003: Research Officer in Fuel Cell group at NRC’s Institute for Fuel Cell Innovation
- 1997-1999: Staff Scientist at HPower Enterprises of Canada, Development of bipolar plates coatings for fuel cell applications
- Past Chair of the Board for the Canadian Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Association (2021-2022)
- Member of the Executive for Hydrogène Québec (2020-present)
- Chair of the Board for the Canadian Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Association (2020-2021)
- Vice Chair of the Board for the Canadian Hydrogen and Fuel Cell Association (2019-2020)
- Canada’s representative ot Mission Innovation’s Hydrogen Challenge (2018-2020)
- Canada’s delegate to the International Energy Agency’s Technical Cooperation Program on Advanced Fuel Cells (2020-present)