« Back to Member Directory
Edmonton International Airport
Edmonton International Airport (EIA) is a self-funded, not-for-profit corporation whose mandate is to drive economic prosperity for the Edmonton Metropolitan Region. EIA is Canada’s fifth-busiest airport by passenger traffic and the largest major Canadian airport by land area. EIA’s Airport City Sustainability Campus is a living lab for accelerating the development, testing, implementation, and commercialization of technology. EIA offers non-stop connections to destinations across Canada, the U.S., Mexico, the Caribbean, and Europe. EIA is a major economic driver, with an economic output of over C$3.2 billion, supporting over 26,000 jobs.
Recently, EIA has launched the Airport City Sustainability Campus, an ecosystem that EIA created to foster environmental innovation. The partnership reflects the EIA’s pledge to sustainability and reducing carbon emissions to a net-zero future.
The campus will focus on initiatives that will promote a cleaner environment and include the following:
- Electrification of aviation equipment
- Hydrogen fuel cell technologies
- Green power generation using Airport City Solar, the world’s largest airport-based solar farm
- Development and usage of sustainable aviation fuels, biofuels and hydrogen
- Replacement of single-use plastics with plant-fibre materials
- Drones for e-commerce and cargo delivery
- Other initiatives in industries such as agriculture and forestry to offset carbon emission